SEL substation automation solutions enable you to analyze, visualize, and act upon the wealth of data captured by substation IEDs—helping you improve system control, protect valuable equipment, mitigate cyber threats, and comply with safety and security standards.
We offer products and services for every step in modernizing and automating your substations:
- Visibility into system operations—Implement secure data and event collection, visualization, and analysis to increase situational awareness and gain insight into functional performance at both the grid and system levels.
- Asset monitoring and predictive maintenance—Keep high-value assets online by detecting incipient failures and directing preventive maintenance programs.
- Automated protection and control—Improve CAIDI and SAIDI metrics, protect mission-critical power system components, and automate substation device coordination.
- Workflow automation—Streamline compliance reporting with automated data concentration, and produce audit-ready, actionable reports.
- Secure communications—Improve cybersecurity and performance with a software-defined networking (SDN) solution that is designed for operational technology (OT) networks.
SEL solutions are modular and scalable, so you can begin modernizing your substations with modular components that meet up-front needs and scale up to full substation automation as time and budgets allow.
Visibility Into System Operations
SEL substation gateway and remote terminal unit (RTU) solutions leverage the capabilities of our hardened automation controllers to provide the foundation for substation HMI, data concentration, and SCADA integration. SEL automation controllers provide flexible RTU functionality with superior reliability, extended I/O contacts, and powerful automation and control capabilities.
The SEL-3350, SEL-3555, and SEL-3560 Real-Time Automation Controllers (RTACs) feature an integrated HMI with a local display port and remote access, eliminating the need for an additional computer in the substation and avoiding the security vulnerabilities of Microsoft Windows-based operating systems.
For industrial applications, the SEL automation controller also becomes a powerful gateway between the substation and the factory, using EtherNet/IP to exchange data for real-time monitoring, process control, and power system integration.
The SEL-3350 (configured as an RTAC) provides a secure system visualization, monitoring, and control platform for your substation or plant. With a small 1U form factor and powerful automation, reporting, security, and control capabilities, it’s ideal for substation RTU applications.
- You can collect event reports from various manufacturers’ relays and IEDs.
- RTU capabilities include protocol conversion, SCADA communications, synchrophasors, time synchronization, data management, and an IEC 61131 logic engine powerful enough to handle virtually any automation task.
- An optional integrated substation HMI with integrated DisplayPort output and secure web proxy makes it easy to visualize substation data and view other substation device web interfaces, all from one location.
Asset Monitoring and Predictive Maintenance
Asset monitoring and predictive maintenance—also known as condition-based monitoring (CBM)—help protect critical substation assets, save money, and increase your system’s reliability by detecting signs of wear and stress in critical substation assets and directing preventive maintenance to the equipment that needs it the most.
SEL automation controllers provide the advanced data recording and analysis capabilities that make asset monitoring and predictive maintenance possible, and they can be integrated with virtually any system you may have in place.
SEL Engineering Services teams integrate our devices with asset monitoring and predictive maintenance programs and combine CBM systems from multiple vendors into a single comprehensive solution.
Automated Protection and Control
Take advantage of the advanced capabilities and versatility of SEL protective relays, communications solutions, and automation controllers to provide SCADA integration and advanced power management and control.
With SEL devices, software, and services, you can implement condition-based equipment monitoring; automated data collection; coordinated protection; load management; fault location, isolation, and service restoration (FLISR) schemes; and more.
SEL designs, develops, tests, and deploys complete SCADA systems to monitor and control your systems or processes. Our experienced Engineering Services teams provide solutions ranging from IED integration and simple standalone implementations to complex networked systems.
Digital Secondary Systems (DSSs)
SEL DSS solutions digitize measurements from primary equipment in the field and use fiber-optic cables to transmit the data to protective relays—eliminating the cost, complexity, and safety hazards associated with running copper cabling into the control house.
SEL Engineering Services implements two types of DSSs:
- A point-to-point solution using SEL Time-Domain Link (TiDL) technology, which eliminates the need for network engineering, Ethernet equipment, and external time sources—and significantly reduces exposure to cyber threats.
- A networked Sampled Values (SV) solution, which offers the flexibility of IEC 61850-9-2 and merging units with built-in protection.
Automated Protection and Control
The reliability and versatility of SEL protective devices allow you to implement automated protection and load restoration schemes and achieve high levels of system availability with simple redundant solutions.
In addition, our powerful automation controllers and precise-time products enable wide-area control solutions for electric generation, transmission, and distribution systems as well as high-speed microgrid control and industrial power system management and protection solutions.
SEL solutions provide automated protection and control at the substation level and system-wide:
- Implement FLISR to reduce outages and improve CAIDI and SAIDI metrics with SEL-engineered distribution automation controllers based on our RTAC platform.
- Integrate and manage distributed energy resources (DERs) with the SEL-engineered, RTAC-based Grid Connect solution.
- Set up advanced data monitoring to help protect and maintain high-value assets.
- Use SEL Data Management and Automation (DMA) software to automatically collect oscillography and SOE information from system devices.
- Implement volt/VAR management to improve your system’s power factor.
Workflow and Compliance Automation
Streamline workflows and regulatory compliance processes with SEL solutions and engineering services.
The SEL Blueframe Application Platform
SEL Blueframe is a secure, scalable platform for running OT software applications, such as the SEL DMA suite, which streamlines workflows and supports regulatory compliance efforts by enabling centralized device management and automated data collection.
Blueframe allows a seamless exchange of data between applications on the platform, minimizes the frequency of patches and upgrades, and offers security features to prevent unauthorized access and potential attacks.
Digital Fault Recording (DFR) Systems
SEL Engineering Services implements complete DFR solutions, installing all the necessary devices and software and configuring the system to collect essential data and output audit-ready reports.
NERC PRC Compliance
We offer a complete range of NERC PRC compliance services and solutions:
- Data collection and review
- Compliance checks
- Risk identification and prioritization
- Mitigation options and deployment plans
- Corrective actions, including settings verified by SEL engineers
- Compliance road maps and audit documentation reports
- Testing and maintenance plans and training
SEL Data Management and Automation (DMA) Blueframe Application Suite
SEL DMA applications enable you to automate and simplify data collection and device management and to streamline regulatory compliance processes. These applications run on our secure, scalable, and customizable Blueframe application platform, which can be embedded in SEL automation controllers or deployed in virtual environments.Learn more
SEL provides the cyber-secure communications solutions that make substation automation possible.
Our communications products are built to the same reliability standards as our relays and automation controllers. They support multiple communications protocols, including DNP3 and IEC 61850 communications, so they can fully integrate with your existing devices and systems.
SEL SDN solutions—designed specifically for OT networks—eliminate common LAN security vulnerabilities with a deny-by-default software architecture that accepts communications only on preconfigured paths between authorized devices. This helps protect against attacks that originate from compromised devices on the LAN and also adds protection against unauthorized traffic that slips past firewalls.
Proven Reliability and Lifetime Support
It’s been this way at SEL for 35 years and counting.
Our products are designed to withstand the world’s most challenging environments, exceeding all industry standards for temperature, shock, and electric stress. An optional conformal coating gives electronic components an extra level of protection against contaminants in extreme environments.
All SEL electronic products are designed, tested, and manufactured in North America, in facilities that we own and operate.
Let us partner with you to modernize and automate your substations. SEL Engineering Services designs and implements fully integrated automation solutions for:
- SCADA integration and HMI for visualization and control of substation systems.
- Asset monitoring and predictive maintenance.
- Data collection for standards compliance.
- Improving CAIDI and SAIFI customer reliability metrics.
Our expert engineering teams will consult with you at every stage of the project, from planning and design through commissioning of the system. We’ll install and configure all the necessary SEL equipment, integrate it with your existing infrastructure and processes, and ensure that the whole system meets your economic and operational objectives.
Industrial Power Management