Line Differential Protection
SEL Line Differential Protection Products
SEL line differential protection provides robust, configurable high-speed protection for transmission line systems where distance protection may be inadequate.
The advanced technology in SEL relays—with subcycle single- or three-pole protection, flexible communications, and backup distance protection—helps solve your most difficult and complex protection challenges, such as parallel line protection and maintaining primary line protection when connecting wind farms to the grid.
SEL-411L Advanced Line Differential Protection, Automation, and Control System
Complete protection and control of any transmission line in a single relay. The SEL-411L offers line differential protection plus all the distance protection features of the SEL-421 Protection, Automation, and Bay Control System. Deploy the SEL-411L with the SEL ICON or other communications platforms.
- Subcycle single- or three-pole line differential protection.
- Exceptionally sensitive and secure operation using phase- and sequence-based operating elements plus our patented generalized Alpha Plane technology.
- Flexible 87L data channel selection—choose the communications channel that fits your application needs.
- Line-charging current compensation for better protection of long extra-high-voltage lines.
- Maintaining load balance and line protection with automatic out-of-step (OOS) blocking and tripping.
- Traveling-wave fault location pinpoints faults within one tower span.
SEL-311L Line Current Differential Protection and Automation System
Subcycle differential protection with four-zone distance and directional overcurrent backup. Apply the SEL-311L on two- or three-terminal lines.
- High-speed protection independent of line loading, CT saturation, or tapped load.
- Integrated four-shot reclosing.
- Single and dual differential channels for increased dependability and security.
- Distance protection plus directional and nondirectional overcurrent elements to provide a full backup protection system.
Let us partner with you to create an SEL solution for your system. From engineering studies and system design through commissioning and training, SEL engineers bring inventiveness and a deep understanding of the fundamental principles of electric power systems to every project. No matter how complex or sophisticated the system, we can help you protect, simplify, and control it.
Products and Service You Can Rely On
SEL products are designed and manufactured for the world’s most challenging environments, exceeding all industry standards for temperature, shock, and electric stress. An optional conformal coating for circuit boards adds an extra level of protection against contaminants in extreme environments.
Every SEL product comes with a ten-year warranty—the best in the industry. If any product fails under warranty, we’ll repair or replace it for free.