Smart Motor Control for Low-Voltage Systems
The motorMAX Low-Voltage Motor Management and Protection System is the SEL smart motor control system for low-voltage motor control centers (MCCs). This scalable system includes protective relays, managed network switches, real-time automation controllers (RTACs), precise time sources, and machine interfaces for local and remote visualization and control.
- Seamless integration with the SEL powerMAX Power Management and Control System allows operators to manage a facility’s power system, including end devices, from a single HMI screen.
- No programmable logic controllers (PLCs), associated wiring, pushbutton controls, or interposing relays minimizes interconnect cabling.
- Arc-flash detection (AFD) increases safety by reducing incident energy. All incoming breakers are signaled to trip in <16 ms after an arc event anywhere in the MCC.
- SEL-849 Motor Management Relays and SEL-751 Feeder Protection Relays provide more data than traditional MCC components, which gives a better insight of end devices’ operation.
- By using SEL components, the system can achieve higher safety integrity level (SIL) ratings.
- Oscillography and Sequence of Events (SOE) recording enable online diagnostic analysis.
- The delivery method reduces the time and cost of installation, startup, and maintenance.
motorMAX Arc-Flash Demonstration: Motor Management and Protection
To validate the arc-flash detection performance of the motorMAX Low-Voltage Motor Management and Protection System, SEL performed a series of tests at a high-current laboratory.