This is a three-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,500 USD
TST 107 covers skills required to enter settings, test, commission, and troubleshoot this class of SEL relays. Students will:
- Review skills required to work with SEL relays.
- Learn about specific transmission relay testing considerations.
- Practice skills through working with different relays throughout the course.
- Gain familiarity with the operating principles of each type of relay.
- Explore the features of SEL relay technology to make appropriate choices when designing test routines.
SEL equipment will be used during the training, including transformer protection (SEL-487E), distance and directional (SEL-421), and advanced line current differential (SEL-411L) relays.
This course is intended for relay technicians or protection engineers and system consultants with an interest in relay testing.
- Introduction to Relay Testing
- SELogic Control Equations
- Using acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software
- Introduction to the SEL-411L
- Using the SEL-5401 Test System Software
- SEL-411L: 500 kV Example Transmission Line (includes a class exercise)
- SEL-411L Overcurrent, Time-Overcurrent, and Directional Element Testing:
Overcurrent and Directional (includes class exercises)
- SEL-411L Distance Element Testing (includes a class exercise)
- Data Capture and Event Reports
- Enhanced Mirrored Bits Communications
- 87L Functions in the SEL-411L Relay: Introduction
- SEL-411L Channel Requirements: Logic, Master, Slave, and Loss of Protection
- SEL-411L: Communications Channel Verification Hands-On Exercise
- SEL-411L 87L Element Logic
- Testing the SEL-411L: 87L Test Modes
- SEL-411L: Hands-On Testing Exercise
- SEL-411L: Commissioning an 87L Relay System
- SEL-411L Internal Faults Hands-On Exercise (optional)
- SEL-411L External Fault Hands-On Exercise (optional)
- SEL-487E Relay Introduction
- SEL-487E Metering Exercise
- Introduction to Differential Testing
- Single-Phase Testing of the SEL-487E Differential Element Without State Simulation (includes a class exercise)
- Single-Phase Testing of the SEL-487E Restricted Earth Fault (REF) Element (includes a class exercise)
- Commissioning Assistant (includes a class exercise)
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Establish a serial communications link with an SEL relay using HyperTerminal and SEL software.
- Enter settings into an SEL relay.
- Equate Relay Word bits and SELogic control equations to traditional relay element outputs and discrete contact logic.
- Test, commission, and troubleshoot using metering, sequential events recording, and event reporting features of SEL relays.
- Analyze information recorded by the relay using SEL software.
- Calculate relay test points to verify response.
- Find information in the SEL relay instruction manuals.
- Understand differential relay concepts and determine appropriate test values.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you: