This is a two-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,000 USD
TST 101 provides a beginner-level introduction to testing SEL relays. Students will learn basic relay testing skills; acquire skills required to work with SEL relays, such as using Relay Word bits and relay event reports; and practice acquired skills by working with a phase and ground distance (SEL-311C) relay during the training.
This course is intended for relay technicians or protection engineers and system consultants with an interest in relay testing.
- Introduction to Relay Testing
- Introduction to SELogic Control Equations
- Introduction to Symmetrical Components
- Using acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software With the SEL-311C
- Testing Aids and Tools
- SEL-311C Transmission Protection System Overview
- SEL-5401 Relay Test System Software
- Introduction to Overcurrent Relay Testing (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Negative-Sequence Impedance Directional Element Testing (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Distance Relay Testing (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Interpreting Event Report Data
- Reference: Creating Multistate Tests
- Appendix: Basic Relay Communications
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Establish a serial communications link with an SEL relay using SEL software.
- Enter settings into an SEL relay.
- Equate Relay Word bits and SELogic control equations to traditional relay element outputs and discrete contact logic.
- Test, commission, and troubleshoot using metering, sequential events recording, and event reporting features of SEL relays.
- Analyze information recorded by the relay using SEL software.
- Calculate relay test points to verify responses.
- Find information in the SEL relay instruction manuals.