Distribution Automation and Management
Improve reliability metrics with solutions that minimize the impact of fault-related outages and automatically reconfigure the flow of power to restore service.
SEL offers a full range of distribution automation solutions—from advanced software-based solutions that configure FLISR schemes in minutes to custom-engineered systems that integrate centralized capacitor bank control, dynamic voltage control, and more.
Advanced Software-Based Solutions
Distribution automation applications on SEL Blueframe offer unparalleled transparency and ease of use. Customizable, versatile, and scalable, SEL Blueframe is a software platform designed to manage and exchange data seamlessly and securely between operational technology (OT) applications.
SEL Blueframe is a secure, Linux-based operating system and software platform designed for operational technology (OT) applications. It is customizable and versatile, supports installations of any size, and readily scales from running one or two targeted applications to multiple application suites.
Blueframe supports a growing number of SEL software applications, including:
- Data Management and Automation (DMA): Automatically collect, store, and manage device-specific information to simplify management of your system of devices and support compliance.
- Distribution Management System (DMS): Monitor, optimize, and control distribution systems with a suite of integrated wide-area control applications.
- SEL-5056 Software-Defined Network (SDN) Flow Controller: Configure and manage SEL SDN switches to create Ethernet networks optimized for operational technology (OT) applications.
Custom Engineered Solutions
SEL Engineering Services provides turnkey automation, protection, and wide-area control systems that are engineered to provide the specific functionalities you need to achieve your operational goals.
Distribution Automation, Protection, and Control
These solutions can include FLISR implementation, centralized capacitor bank control, dynamic voltage control, and more, depending on your requirements and operational goals. They integrate with the IEDs already in your system and are scalable and modular, so they can be expanded to meet new demand.
SEL Engineering Services also implements our High-Density Coordination solutions as a turnkey system.
SEL substation automation solutions enable grid owners to automate the collection and storage of data captured by modern IEDs, so that it can be used to improve system visibility and control, reduce O&M costs, mitigate cyber threats, and comply with safety and security standards.
A Partner for Any Modernization Project
SEL offers modernization solutions and services for any part of the grid, scaled to your needs. Partner with us on individual projects or multi-year modernization programs.
We design electric power systems, coordinate procurement and construction, manufacture the relays, build the panels, and install and commission the protection and control systems.
- Simplicity at Every Stage—Streamline your grid modernization program with a single PO. We offer a single-vendor solution for the entire process—from design and permitting through building, installation, and commissioning. This simplifies budgeting, project management, and timelines, ensuring on-time delivery.
- Advanced Technology—SEL solutions offer the fastest protection available. They also improve systemwide visibility and control through cybersecure remote engineering access, automated event collection, and precise fault location, among other benefits.
- Access to Experts and Product Support—Engineering support is available to you before, during, and after a project. After commissioning, you receive 24/7 support from SEL application engineers. Technical support is available for the lifetime of every SEL device at no cost.
- Reduced Total Cost of Ownership—Our simplified project management approach, advanced technology, and expert support lower your O&M costs in the short term and for the entire life of your modernized system.
More Grid Modernization Solutions
Increase operational flexibility, improve reliability, and optimize asset life and power quality.
Integrate renewables and distributed energy resources while ensuring grid reliability.
Protection, monitoring, and control solutions that ensure transmission grid stability.
Layered cybersecurity defenses keep your critical infrastructure secure.
Protect people, equipment, and the environment with SEL technologies.
Partnership and Support
We believe you should never have to worry about whether your protection and control systems will be working when you need them most. That’s why you always have access to SEL engineers—and every device we manufacture comes with a ten-year warranty and free technical support.
SEL product warranty—plus how to return a product or contact tech support.
Stay informed on cyber vulnerabilities and keep your SEL products up-to-date.
SEL systems, processes, and products are certified to internationally recognized standards.
Solutions and services that help you implement and maintain layered cybersecurity defenses.
Distribution Modernization in Kentucky
Sister utility companies LG&E/KU started with a retrofit pilot project and then scaled up to modernize 485 distribution feeders and extend SCADA coverage to 74 percent of their rural service area.