NERC CIP Compliance Services
The NERC CIP standards set critical infrastructure protection requirements for utility providers that are considered part of the bulk electrical system (BES) in the US, Canada, and part of Mexico. In addition to helping utility providers meet these standards, we can also test, design, and implement complete operational technology (OT) networking solutions and electric power protection and control solutions that comply with any cybersecurity standards that may apply to you.
Managing NERC CIP Compliance
SEL provides services and solutions that streamline the demanding, potentially time-consuming tasks of maintaining compliance with NERC CIP cybersecurity standards and keeping your critical electric power infrastructure secure.
And if NERC CIP standards don’t yet apply to you, but might in the future, we can help ensure that future compliance is easier to achieve.
Remote Access Configuration and IED Password Management
SEL provides the design, setup, and implementation of secure engineering access using the SEL Real-time Automation Controller (RTAC), OPNsense on SEL hardware, and SEL-3620 Ethernet Security Gateway with centralized RBAC services.
As part of this service, SEL experts will:
- Integrate SEL devices with your directory services and group policy objects.
- Set up remote centralized access with LDAP and/or RADIUS.
- Configure localized IED checkout to support secondary injection test set software.
- Enable substation engineering access for islanded communications situations (for instance, with local backup accounts).
- Document the functional design, factory acceptance test plan, and site acceptance test plans.
- Set up security logging and alerts.
Centralized Enterprise Management Integration
We provide centralized enterprise management integration for SEL secure networking and access control solutions, including plans for restoring settings and systems in case of a catastrophic cyber event.
This service includes:
- Integration with Domain Name Services (DNS)
- Configuration of a VPN client
- Jumpserver or intermediary system deployment
- Computer hardening with NIST STIG or CIS benchmarks
- Multifactor authentication with RADIUS.
- Settings baseline and the creation of a backup plan
- Software tools and network storage
- Certificate management configuration and integration
- Integration with Syslog and (if available) SNMP services
NERC CIP Process Documentation
SEL experts will review and draft updates to your process documentation to ensure alignment with NERC operational requirements.
We will also set up the collection of data from protection system IEDs to document compliance with all applicable NERC CIP standards.
- Access management process and access revocation process
- Electronic security perimeter
- Substation system security management: engineering access ports and services
- Firmware patch management for SEL devices
- Engineering access security event monitoring and Syslog
- Substation access controls
- Backup and recovery plan for protection system IEDs
- Disaster recovery process
- Baseline configuration and change management for protection system IEDs
- IED decommissioning
SEL cybersecurity professionals provide training courses that cover:
- Electronic security perimeter awareness.
- Electronic access point awareness.
- Product overviews of the SEL RTAC, OPNsense on SEL hardware, and SEL-3620 with access to product resource material.
- Configuration of the SEL RTAC, OPNsense on SEL hardware, and SEL-3620.
- NERC CIP process modifications and improvements
These courses meet NERC CIP requirements for security awareness program training (CIP-004) and security operations training with a table-top exercise (CIP-008).
Firmware and Software Patch Management
Our product application engineers and cybersecurity experts ensure that your SEL products are always up to date and functioning properly with:
- Twice-monthly assessments of how any new updates might impact or improve your specific application of the SEL product.
- NERC CIP documentation and deployment plans as indicated by the assessment.
- A lab test bed that replicates your site and allows thorough testing of new firmware and software prior to site deployment.
- Deployment and system baseline updates.
Supply Chain Risk Management
The NERC CIP-013 standard requires mitigation of supply chain risks to help ensure the cybersecurity of the bulk electrical system.
As part of your supply chain, SEL is ready to provide the vendor notification, disclosure, and assessment information you need to meet these risk management requirements.
Our cybersecurity and operations professionals can also help you implement some of the risk management best practices we use to ensure the security of our own supply chain.