This is a two-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,000 USD
APP 87 provides comprehensive application training for the SEL-387 and the SEL‑587 percentage-restrained differential relays, which offer sensitive, high-speed protection for transformer, machine, and bus differential applications. Students (in groups of two) gain hands-on experience in communicating, setting, metering, monitoring, retrieving and analyzing event reports, and performing control functions by working directly with SEL-387 and SEL-587 Relays. Course topics include:
- Three-phase, dual-slope percentage-restrained differential elements.
- Tap, phase, and zero-sequence compensation for transformer differential applications.
- Harmonic restraint or blocking for transformer inrush and overexcitation.
- Unrestrained differential element.
- Multiple phase, negative-sequence, and zero-sequence overcurrent elements.
- Restricted earth fault ground differential.
- SELogic control equations.
This course is intended for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants.
- Introduction to Transformer Differential Protection
- SEL-587 Relay Overview and Model Options
- Introduction to SELogic Control Equations
- Introduction to acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software and SEL-AMS
- SEL-587 Differential Settings (includes a class exercise)
- SEL-587 Differential Element Testing Introduction
- Hands-On Differential Element Testing
- SEL-587 Hands-On Analysis
- SEL-387 Relay Overview
- SEL-387 Front-Panel Targets and Display
- SEL-387 Hands-On Meter Checks
- SEL-387 Differential Element Settings (includes a class exercise)
- SEL-387E Hands-On Differential Elements
- SEL-387 Hands-On Analysis
- Introduction to Volts/Hertz Element (includes class exercises)
- Additional SEL-387E Hands-On Testing
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Explain the application considerations of differential protection.
- Apply internal or external phase shift and zero-sequence compensation using two different setting methods in both relays.
- Use SELogic control equations to customize the relay logic to meet your application requirements.
- Analyze Sequential Events Recorder (SER) reports and generate COMTRADE files from event reports.
- Explain testing considerations.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you:
- Complete CBT 101: Introduction to SEL Relays OR have basic familiarity with protective relaying, SELogic control equations, front-panel controls, and the SEL-4000 Relay Test System.
- Have the ability to set up a communications session.