This is a two-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,000 USD
APP 651R provides an introduction to the SEL-651R Advanced Recloser Control. The course will also cover basic recloser control functions, advanced capabilities, and application examples, including Automatic Network Reconfiguration, single-phase trip and reclose, and harmonic analysis. APP 651R also includes an introduction to the
acSELerator QuickSet Design Templates for creating customized settings templates. Students (in groups of two) will work directly with the SEL-651R, performing hands-on communications, settings, and testing.
This course is designed for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants.
- SEL-651R Advanced Recloser Control Overview
- Front-Panel HMI (includes a class exercise)
- Serial Communications (includes a class exercise)
- acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software
- acSELerator QuickSet Design Template Overview (includes a class exercise)
- Traditional 14-Pin Design Template Settings
- Single-Phase Operation Template Settings and Features
- Introduction to SELogic Control Equations (includes a class exercise)
- Protection Elements and Logic (includes a class exercise)
- Commissioning (includes class exercises)
- Event Report Retrieval and Analysis (includes a class exercise)
- Recloser Interface Troubleshooting
- Battery Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Implementing a Voltage Transfer Scheme Using Mirrored Bits Communications
- Digitally Signed Firmware and Web Server Firmware Upgrade
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Upgrade existing substation and pole-mounted recloser controls.
- Communicate with the recloser control through front-panel and serial port interfaces.
- Apply settings to implement Automatic Network Reconfiguration.
- Determine several protection methods based on course application examples.
- Create and use QuickSet application designs.
- Enable and disable protection features and settings in application designs.
- Apply SEL-651R EZ settings application design.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you:
- Complete CBT 101: Introduction to SEL Relays OR have basic familiarity with protective relaying, SELogic control equations, QuickSet, and front-panel controls.
- Have the ability to set up a communications session.