This is a two-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,000 USD
This two-day course provides hands-on application and settings guidance for the SEL-487V Capacitor Protection and Control System. APP 487V includes calculating voltage differential and current unbalance levels using IEEE C37.99-based software and data from capacitor bank examples to develop protection settings. Students (in groups of two) will work directly with an SEL‑487V to configure system data and determine protection settings.
Course topics include:
- Shunt capacitor bank configurations and protection fundamentals.
- SEL-487V introduction and applications.
- Typical system connections and wiring diagrams.
- How to determine alarm, trip, and high set pickup levels.
- Applying automatic phase angle and magnitude compensation using KSET command.
- Power, overcurrent, and overvoltage elements.
- Breaker, battery, and thermal monitoring.
- Automatic switching and control settings.
- Capacitor bank reports and event analysis.
This course is designed for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants.
- Capacitor Bank Protection and Application Overview
- Relay Introduction
- acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software (with hands-on exercise)
- Grounded Voltage Differential Protection (with hands-on exercise)
- Ungrounded Voltage Differential Protection (with hands-on exercise)
- Neutral Current Unbalance Protection (with hands-on exercise)
- Phase Current Unbalance Protection (with hands-on exercise)
- Faulted Phase and Section Identification Logic (with hands-on exercise)
- Capacitor Bank and Overvoltage Element (with hands-on exercise)
- Other Protection Functions
- Relay Control Functions (with hands-on exercise)
- Relay Monitoring Functions (with hands-on exercise)
- Synchrophasor Functions
- SEL-4000 Relay Test System: SEL-AMS and SEL-5401 Software (optional)
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Navigate QuickSet and settings tools.
- Calculate system and data settings for example cap bank nameplates.
- Enable grounded-wye or ungrounded capacitor bank applications.
- Determine settings for 60P and 60N current unbalance protection.
- Test SEL-487V differential and unbalance tripping operations.
- Isolate the location of the faulted phase and section.
- Monitor voltage sag and swell conditions.
- Set up switching and automatic control of capacitor bank operations.
- Configure synchrophasor real-time control applications.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you: