This is a three-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,500 USD
This three-day course provides hands-on application and settings guidance for the SEL-487E Transformer Protection Relay, used worldwide to protect and monitor a wide variety of transformers, including power transformers, generator step-up transformers, and autotransformers.
This course is designed for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants who want to gain experience communicating, setting, metering, monitoring, retrieving event reports, and performing control functions while working directly with an SEL-487E.
- Protection Basics: Differential Protection
- SEL-487E Relay Introduction
- Set, Monitor, and Control the SEL-487E Using acSELerator QuickSet SEL‑5030 Software
- Nameplate and Compensation Settings (includes a class exercise)
- Using the SEL-5401 Test System Software (includes a class exercise)
- Logic and Testing
- Relay Differential Elements
- Single-Phase Testing of the SEL-487E Differential Element Without State Simulation
- Commissioning Assistant
- Event Reports and Sequential Events Recorder (SER)
- Event Report Analysis
- Harmonic Blocking and Restraint Elements
- Restricted Earth Fault Element (includes a class exercise)
- Overcurrent Elements
- Overcurrent Testing (includes a class exercise)
- Voltage and Volts/Hertz Elements
- Volts/Hertz Testing (includes a class exercise)
- Thermal and Through-Fault Power Transformer Monitoring
- SEL Compass
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Set the SEL-487E differential element for a variety of transformer types and applications.
- Use QuickSet to manage settings, control operations, and monitor transformer performance.
- Set restricted earth fault, overcurrent, and volts/hertz elements to protect the transformer.
- Calculate test quantities, simulate fault conditions, and verify protection settings.
- Use Commissioning Assistant software to simplify installation and testing.
- Use SEL event analysis tools to retrieve and analyze event records captured by the SEL-487E.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you:
- Complete CBT 101: Introduction to SEL Relays OR have basic familiarity with protective relaying, SELogic control equations, and front-panel controls.
- Have the ability to operate QuickSet.
- Be familiar with transformer protection relays.