This is a two-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,000 USD
APP 351 provides comprehensive application training for the SEL-351 Protection System, an extremely flexible protective relay used by utilities worldwide, in multiple applications. Working in groups of two, students gain hands-on experience in communicating, setting, metering, monitoring, retrieving event reports, and performing control functions by working directly with the SEL-351S Relay.
This course is designed for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants.
- SEL-351 Relay Family Overview
- SEL-4000 Relay Test System: SEL-AMS and SEL-5401 Software
- Using acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software With the SEL-351S
- Front-Panel Targets and Display
- SELogic Control Equations (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Relay Settings Overview
- Overcurrent Elements
- Best Choice Ground Directional Element
- Voltage and Frequency Elements
- Relay Logic and Settings
- SEL-351S Front-Panel Large Operator Controls (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Hands-On Exercise: Part 1
- Breaker Monitor
- Retrieving, Understanding, and Analyzing Event Report Information
- Mirrored Bits Communications (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Data Acquisition and Control Via Distributed Network Protocol (DNP)
- SEL-351R Recloser Control
- Hands-On Exercise: Part 2
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Apply the SEL-351S Relay protection, monitoring, and control features.
- Communicate with the relay through the front panel and serial port.
- Use QuickSet to apply relay settings, program SELogic control equations, and analyze fault records and the relay element response.
- Analyze Sequential Events Recorder (SER) reports.
- Implement relay-to-relay logic communications via the Mirrored Bits communications protocol.
- Identify multiple applications for the SEL-351 Relay family.
- Differentiate between SEL-351, SEL-351A, and SEL-351S Relay features.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you:
- Have basic familiarity with protective relaying, SELogic control equations, QuickSet, front-panel controls, and the SEL‑4000 Relay Test System.
- Have the ability to set up relay communications using acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software.
- Complete CBT 101: Introduction to SEL Relays (highly recommended).