This is a two-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,000 USD
Students in APP 351R explore the traditional recloser control functions and the complete distribution system protection capabilities of the SEL-351R Recloser Control. APP 351R also covers advanced applications, including selective load shedding, loop-feed systems, and using dual recloser controls to provide premium service reliability. In groups of two, students will work with the SEL-351R to perform hands-on communications, settings, and testing.
This course is designed for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants.
- SEL-351R Recloser Control Overview
- acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software (includes optional SEL-5010 Relay Assistant Software)
- Global EZ Settings
- EZ Settings
- Front-Panel Interface (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Logic Settings
- SEL-5401 Software (includes hands-on exercise, Part 1)
- Front-Panel Custom Display and Control (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Reclosing Logic and Settings
- Hands-On Exercise, Part 2: Reclosing and Underfrequency Testing
- Battery Monitor
- Event Reporting and Sequential Events Recorder
- Breaker/Recloser Monitor
- Voltage Elements and Associated Hands-On Exercises
- Synchronism Check
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Describe how to upgrade existing substation and pole-mounted recloser controls.
- Communicate with the recloser control through front-panel and serial port interfaces.
- Use QuickSet to apply EZ settings, program SELogic control equations, and analyze event reports.
- Discuss relay-to-relay logic communications via the Mirrored Bits communications protocol.
- Coordinate with upstream feeder relays for high-speed fault clearing on distribution circuits.
- Apply high-side transformer blown fuse detection logic to protect customers from potentially damaging unbalanced voltages.
- Use the fault detection capability to identify feeder trouble points.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you:
- Complete CBT 101: Introduction to SEL Relays (highly recommended) OR have basic familiarity with protective relaying, SELogic control equations, acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software, front-panel controls, and the SEL‑4000 Relay Test System.
- Have the ability to set up a communications session.