This is a three-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,500 USD
APP 351R: SEL-351R Recloser Control
Students will explore the traditional recloser control functions and the complete distribution system protection capabilities of the SEL‑351R Recloser Control. The course also covers advanced applications, including selective load shedding, loop-feed systems, and using dual recloser controls to provide premium service reliability.
APP 651R: SEL-651R Advanced Recloser Control
This course provides an introduction to the SEL-651R Advanced Recloser Control. The course also covers basic recloser control functions, advanced capabilities, and application examples, including Automatic Network Reconfiguration, single-phase trip and reclose, and harmonic analysis. The course also includes an introduction to the ACSELERATOR QuickSet Design Templates for creating customized settings templates.
Students (in groups of two) will work directly with the SEL-351R and SEL-651R Recloser Controls, performing hands-on communications, settings, and testing.
This course is designed for utility and industrial protection engineers and power system consultants.
- SEL-351R Recloser Control Overview
- acSELerator QuickSet SEL‑5030 Software
- Global EZ Settings
- EZ Settings
- Front-Panel Interface
- Logic Settings
- Front-Panel Custom Display and Control (includes class exercises)
- Reclosing Logic and Settings
- Hands-On Exercise, Part 2: Reclosing and Underfrequency Testing
- Battery Monitor
- Equipment Change From the SEL-351R to the SEL‑651R
- SEL-651R Advanced Recloser Control Overview
- Front-Panel HMI (includes a class exercise)
- acSELerator QuickSet Design Template Overview (includes a class exercise)
- Traditional 14-Pin Design Template Settings
- Single-Phase Operation Template Settings and Features
- Introduction to SELogic Control Equations (includes a class exercise)
- Protection Elements and Logic (includes a class exercise)
- Commissioning (includes class exercises)
- Event Report Retrieval and Analysis (includes a class exercise)
- Recloser Interface Troubleshooting
- Battery Monitoring and Troubleshooting
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Implementing a Voltage Transfer Scheme Using Mirrored Bits
- Digitally Signed Firmware and Web Server Firmware Upgrade
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Upgrade existing substation and pole-mounted recloser controls.
- Communicate with the recloser control through front-panel and serial port interfaces.
- Use QuickSet to apply EZ settings, program SELogic control equations, and analyze event reports.
- Discuss relay-to-relay logic communications via Mirrored Bits communications protocol.
- Coordinate with upstream feeder relays for high-speed fault clearing on distribution circuits.
- Apply high-side transformer blown fuse detection logic to protect customers from potentially damaging unbalanced voltages.
- Use the fault detection capability to identify feeder trouble points.
- Apply settings to implement Automatic Network Reconfiguration.
- Determine several protection methods based on course application examples.
- Create and use acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software application designs.
- Enable and disable protection features and settings in application designs.
- Apply SEL-651R EZ settings application design.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you:
- Complete CBT 101: Introduction to SEL Relays OR have basic familiarity with protective relaying, acSELerator QuickSet SEL-5030 Software, and front-panel controls.
- Have the ability to set up a communications session.