This is a three-day course.
Course Base Fees: $1,500 USD
Students will learn to use the SEL-2032 Communications Processor to design, create, and implement a state-of-the-art substation integration and automation system. Detailed hands-on examples will show the ease with which you can apply the communications processor to both SEL relays and non-SEL IEDs. Students will explore use of the communications processor with DNP3 Level 2, Modbus, and the SEL-2701 Ethernet Processor. Multitier applications of the communications processor are also addressed. Students (in groups of two) will gain hands-on experience in communicating, setting, and reporting functions directly with an SEL communications processor.
Course topics include:
- Definitions of integration terms and system features
- Communications processor settings and advanced applications, including:
- Port and user-defined setting
- Data verification and relay control
- Settings for automated event reporting
- Hands-on settings exercises, including:
- Relay data collection and retrieval
- Data concentration
- Automatic notification
- Tier-to-tier communication
- Modbus and DNP communication
This course is designed for industrial protection engineers, electric utility engineers, technicians, consultants, and integration specialists who provide, approve, specify, design, plan, operate, maintain, or test power protection systems, including instrumentation, automation, and/or control systems.
- Introduction to SEL Communications Processors
- SEL Software Solutions for Use With Communications Processors (includes a hands-on exercise)
- SEL Communications Processor Port Settings (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Automatic Message Settings for Data Collection (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Database Mining (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Math/Data Movement Settings for Data Concentration and Scaling (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Control Capabilities (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Configuring User Commands (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Programmable Logic (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Troubleshooting Techniques (includes a hands-on exercise)
- System Integration Protocols (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Modbus Communications Protocol (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Introduction to DNP3 (includes a hands-on exercise)
- SEL-2701 Ethernet Settings (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Telnet (includes a hands-on exercise)
- File Transfer Protocol (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Introduction to DNP3 LAN/WAN (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Modem Configuration and Troubleshooting
- Ethernet Troubleshooting
- Cybersecurity Basics (includes a hands-on exercise)
- Multitiered Data Acquisition and Control (includes a hands-on exercise)
At the conclusion of this course, students can:
- Integrate SEL and non-SEL IEDs using communications processor settings and database functions.
- Identify and use settings classes of the communications processor for data acquisition, control, and automatic notification with SEL and non-SEL IEDs.
- Recognize and configure multitier applications.
- Identify DNP3 Level 2 and Modbus protocols and application settings.
- Set the SEL-2701 Ethernet Processor to function in an Ethernet network.
Student Background and Knowledge
Before you attend this class, we recommend that you have the ability to set up a communications session.