System Modeling and Studies
System modeling and studies are part of the foundation of an SEL Engineering Services solution. We use our extensive library of validated models to aid engineering design, ensure that our solutions comply with local and national regulations, and verify that your system will be able to withstand and adapt to disturbances.
Validated Models for Better Results
Through extensive testing in our Real Time Digital Simulator (RTDS) facility and decades of experience with power system protection, we have developed the most comprehensive library of validated software models in the industry.
Validated models confirm that the simulated response to a disturbance or event closely matches the measured response to a similar real-world disturbance. They produce better and more accurate results than standard models—allowing us to provide better analysis and insight for you.
Our engineering teams have the software and equipment necessary to model any power system and operating scenario. We can systematically test a multitude of faults and adverse scenarios, providing the equivalent of years of operational history in only a few days.
The end result? Fewer risks in planning and commissioning, better reliability, and a lower lifetime operating cost.
Protection System Testing
Improve power system performance in critical applications, validate protective relay performance, and optimize relay settings.
SEL will create a RTDS model of your power system, distributed energy resources (DERs), and loads. Protective relays are then physically wired to the RTDS to simulate realistic conditions, and model results and calculated values are compared against the equipment’s ratings to verify that the system is safe and protected.
Key Testing and Validation Offerings
- Series compensation
- Single-pole trip (SPT)
- Communications-assisted schemes
- Transformer inrush studies
- Machine parameter estimation
- Model power system validation
- Transient response analysis
- Phase-shifting transformer (PST) controller testing
Control Systems Testing
We can thoroughly test your new control systems before they arrive onsite. Running our validated models with your control system hardware in the loop demonstrates the performance of the control scheme as well as its effect on the power system.
Hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing can model damaging and disastrous scenarios without risking power system assets or affecting customers, providing proof that the solution will perform as expected even in adverse events.
Key Testing and Validation Offerings
- Photovoltaic (PV) control systems
- Battery control systems
- Wind farm control systems
- Conventional generation control systems
- Steam control systems
- Autosynchronization schemes
- Load-shedding schemes
- Generation-shedding and runback schemes
- Islanding detection and decoupling schemes
- Remedial action schemes
- Fast motor bus transfer schemes
SEL modeling experts create complete fault studies and reports on incident energy levels. Once high-danger locations are identified, we can provide designs to reduce your incident energy levels using SEL-patented arc-flash technology.
- Incident energy determinations
- Equipment and studies to improve personnel safety
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) determinations
- Mitigation studies
- Field surveys
Transmission Planning Studies
A transmission planning study done by SEL will help ensure reliable, timely, efficient, and cost-effective results when designing or upgrading a transmission network. Additionally, our planning studies can help you meet the complicated regulatory requirements often associated with these projects.
SEL offers transmission planning analysis and design services for any transmission voltage level.
Using software applications and other tools, our engineers can provide:
- Wires-to-wires interconnection studies
- Import/export studies
- Load-serving studies
- Underfrequency load-shedding (UFLS)/undervoltage load-shedding (UVLS) studies
- Transient/dynamic stability studies
- Small signal stability studies
- Voltage stability studies
- Congestion studies
For transmission utilities in North America, we can perform the following:
- Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) path-rating studies
- U.S. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) generator interconnection studies
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) MOD-026 and -027 compliance studies
- NERC Protection and Control (PRC) studies
Our studies include electronic and hard copies of all reports and models for future use.
Collaborative HIL Testing
SEL system modeling and studies capabilities deliver much more than hardware and settings.
For large systems and complex solutions, we perform extensive factory acceptance testing in our state-of-the-art testing lab. With the actual hardware that will run your system installed in our RTDS test bed, we can test a multitude of fault cases in a short time—including adverse events too disastrous to test in the field—so you know exactly how your system will perform.
Your operators and engineers are invited to be part of these tests as we put the system through its paces together.
Remote Testing Support
When site visits aren’t possible, we can take advantage of our extensive library of validated models, combined with your system data, to provide testing and technical support from remote locations. Remote testing deliverables include:
- Factory acceptance tests in our RTDS test bed with live customer participation via video conference.
- Compliance testing plans and protection system upgrades that can be executed safely and securely by onsite engineers.
We keep lines of communication open and deliver results of the highest quality, no matter the distance.