California Consumer Privacy Act
Privacy Notice for California Residents:
2. Categories of Personal Information That We Collect and Process
The categories of personal information that SEL collects (and has collected in the last 12 months) are set out in Annex 1.
3. Purposes for Collecting Personal Information
SEL does not collect sensitive personal information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about you. SEL collects personal information for various business purposes that are necessary:
- For marketing and maintaining a business contact with you;
- For maintaining a customer contact with you including billing, payment, delivery, and other contractual activities;
- For providing continued support to you;
- To maintain your account on our website;
- For purposes related to your employment and/or application for employment;
- For us to pursue our legitimate interests; and
- To meet our legal obligations.
4. Your Rights
The CCPA provides you with certain rights in relation to your personal information that we collect:
- Right to request disclosure to you of:
- The categories of personal information that we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the personal information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling, or sharing personal information;
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclose your personal information;
- The categories of your personal information sold;
- The categories of third parties to whom your personal information was sold or shared and the categories of third parties to whom your personal was sold or shared by category or categories of personal information for each third party to whom your personal information was sold or shared; and,
- The categories of your personal information disclosed about you for a business purpose.
- We shall not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under the CCPA by, for example:
- Denying goods or services to you;
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties;
- Providing a different level or quality of goods or services to you;
- Suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services; or
- Retaliating against an employee, applicant for employment, or independent contractor for exercising their rights under this title.
- Right to correct inaccurate personal information, subject to certain conditions and exceptions.
- Right to request deletion of your personal information, subject to certain conditions and exceptions.
- You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we have collected from you and retained.
- We reserve the right to receive, confirm, and verify a customer request for deletion before deletion of your personal information, and may elect to retain information to which an exception under CCPA applies.
- We may deny a deletion request if retention of your personal information is necessary for us to:
- Complete the transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform a contract between you and us;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure that the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act pursuant to Chapter 3.6 (commencing with Section 1546) of Title 12 of Part 2 of the Penal Code.
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the businesses’ deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, if you have provided informed consent;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with your expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with a legal obligation;
- Use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information.
5. Exercising Your Rights to Access, Correct, or Delete Personal Information
You can exercise your rights to access, correct, and/or delete your personal information collected by us by submission of a verifiable consumer request to us using the following contact information.
Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that is authorized by you to act on your behalf, may make the verifiable request. If we are not able to verify your identity or the authority of the person making the request on your behalf, we cannot respond to the request. Information provided in a request will only be used for our investigation and response to the request.
A verifiable request must:
- Include sufficient information that reasonably allows us to verify that you are the person about whom we collected the personal information (or an authorized representative); and
- Provide sufficient detail in your request to reasonably allow us to understand, evaluate, and respond.
Upon receipt of a valid request, we strive to verify and fulfil the request within 45 days when reasonable. We may notify you that an additional 45 days is necessary. Disclosures to you will only include the 12-month period preceding the verified request.
6. Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties for business purposes. We neither sell your personal information to any party, nor share your personal information with third parties. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose (including, without limitation, purposes related to your potential and actual employment with SEL), we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. We may disclose personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Affiliates of SEL;
- Service providers to SEL;
- Advisors including legal professionals, financial professionals, auditors, insurers, and the like; and
7. Disclosures of Personal information for Business Purposes
During the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed, for business purposes, the following categories of personal information from Annex 1: A, B, D, and I and L (only to service providers). During the preceding 12 months, we have not disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose: C, E, F, G, H, J, and K.
8. Sale or Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell personal information; we do not share personal information; and during the preceding 12 months, we have not done so for any personal information in any of the categories in Annex 1 .
9. Sources of Personal Information
We collect the categories of personal information from the following categories of sources:
- Online forms available on our website(s);
- Your personal interactions with SEL employees or representatives;
- Your activities related to potential or actual employment with SEL, including application, inquiry, employee benefits, continued employment, and the like;
- Your attendance at an SEL event, training, class, tradeshow, or the like;
- Your creation of a user account on our website(s);
- Your subscription to an SEL publication;
- Your participation in our questionnaires, surveys, or the like; and,
- Publicly available personal data, such as on the Internet.
10. Retention of Personal Data
SEL will keep and Process your Personal Data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected in connection with your interaction, business, and/or employment with SEL, unless SEL has a legal right or obligation to retain the data for a longer period, or the data is necessary for the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims.
11. Contact Information
If you have any questions about this Notice, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
2350 NE Hopkins Court
Pullman, WA 99163
Revision: 31 December 2022
Annex 1: Categories of Personal Information
|A. Identifiers||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or similar identifiers||Yes|
|B. Personal information described in Cal. Civ. Code §1798.80(e)||A name, signature, address, telephone number, employment history, methods of payment, or the like||Yes|
|C. Characteristics of protected classification under California or federal law||Age, gender, gender identity, military status, and the like||No|
|D. Commercial information||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies||Yes|
|E. Biometric information||Fingerprints, face prints, iris scan, and the like||No|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity||Browsing history, search history, information regarding interaction with an Internet website, application, or advertisement||Yes|
|G. Geolocation data||Physical location||Yes|
|H. Observable data||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information||No|
|I. Professional or employment-related information||Job position, past positions, or career information||Yes|
|J. Non-public education information (under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act 20 U.S.C. §1232(g), 34 C.F.R. Part 99)||Records obtained regarding education, such as transcripts, grades, student information, and the like||No|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information||Consumer preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, preferences, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes||No|
|L. Sensitive personal information||Personal information that reveals a social security, driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number; account log-in, financial account, dept card, credit card number in combination with required security or access code, password, or credentials; precise geolocation; racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, union membership; contents of mail, email, and text messages (unless we are the intended recipient); genetic data; the processing of biometric information for the purpose of uniquely identifying a consumer; personal information collected and analyzed concerning health; personal information collected and analyzed concerning a consumer’s sex life or sexual orientation.||Yes|