Preparing for your interview is just as important as the interview itself. The time you take to prepare will tell a lot about you—making a great first impression is essential. Preparation will help distinguish you from other candidates and will help build your confidence during the interview. It is very important to prepare both mentally and physically. Tips to help you prepare for your interview include:
- Learn about the company and industry. Learn about the position for which you are applying, and understand the job description and its requirements.
- Think about important information you would like the interviewers to know about you. Make a list of your traits, characteristics, and attributes that make you unique.
- Prepare a list of your work, school, and personal experiences, goals, struggles, and challenges that could help you answer interview questions.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself. Practice answering questions in front of a mirror or with family or friends.
- Participate in practice interviews.
- Carefully plan your wardrobe. Make sure your attire is appropriate, clean, and ironed. Make sure your hair, nails, and teeth are well-groomed. It is better to be overdressed than underdressed.
- Properly plan your time. Plan on arriving at least five minutes early to your interview. If possible, visit the site before your actual interview to adequately plan your travel time.
- Prepare a few questions you would like to ask the interviewers.